Friday, January 31, 2014

A Different Chinese New Year


HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!

This year, I was invited to celebrate Chinese New Year with my Singaporean friend.  I was reluctant about going with her at first because I didn't know anyone that was going except for her and about 4 other people; but, I'm really glad I went.  The celebration was a lot of fun!  About 30 of us went to this near by Chinese restaurant (we occupied about half of the place).  


The photo above is a Singaporean tradition (sorry, don't remember what it's called).  They only eat it on Chinese New Year and each color has a special significance for the new year.  It had salmon, pineapples, nuts, cabbage, ginger, mangoes and a whole lot of other Asian vegetables.  The traditional way to eat it is for everyone in the table to toss it together with their chopsticks.  I have never done that before, so it was really interesting tossing food up in the air-- apparently, the higher you toss it the better.  Anyway, it tasted really good and we made a complete mess at our table.  Some of the vegetables even got in my tea cup.


 Unfortunately, I was unable to take pictures of all the dishes.  We were all so hungry, it was just a race to get the food first.

           The steamed fish tasted like home.  I used to love eating this. 


Broccoli, eggplant and tofu.  Classic.


                 I ate a bit too much of this Chinese style chicken.                      

There was even lobster!
There were a few other dishes, like the soup, the Yang Chow fried rice and the Chinese broccoli with pork, that I didn't get a picture of.  Oh! and, we had hot red bean for dessert. 

Ugh!  I still feel like a stuffed turkey!  I am so full!  But, it was worth it.  And, it was really cheap too, so that makes me feel even better :)

Happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment