Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Churros Con Chocolate


Churros con chocolate has to be my favorite Spanish food. It's deep fried dough dipped in chocolate, how can you go wrong with that? 

I was hit with a really bad churro craving a few days ago, and, sadly for me, no one sold Churros anywhere near where I was. Hungry and with nowhere to go, I did what any desperate, churro-craving person would do: I made my own. 

Take note: this was my very first time at making Churros and I'm 100% certain that I made it a lot harder than it actually should've been. The recipe and procedure looked fairly simple (I watched a few YouTube videos and googled some recipes), but I guess it's one of those things that's easier said than done, especially for beginners like myself. 

I think the biggest setback was not having a proper piping bag. At my first attempt I used a ziplock bag, but the hot dough (you cook the dough on the stove) melted the plastic, so I had to start over.  My next attempt, I sliced the dough, it looked okay, but then I burned it. It also turned out that I added too much salt; not even the sugar, cinnamon and chocolate could mask the taste. 

I got it almost perfect on my third try, but the Churros were too dense and chewy. Luckily, the sugar, cinnamon and melted chocolate made up for the unpleasant texture this time. 

On the positive side, I did lose the craving after the second attempt. Maybe one day I'll perfect the art of churro making, but, until then, I'll stick to buying them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment